\n This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Frequently asked questions

The FAQ section is organized in groups of questions according to the following topics:

When can I apply?
EFFORT second call for applications  opened the 10th December 2014. The deadline for submitting the application is Janaury 31, 2015 (at 23.59h).

Can I modify my application after closing it?
No, it is not possible modify the application after closing it. Every grantee should close his/her application before 
Janaury 31, 2015 (at 23.59h). Make sure your application is correct and complete before submitting it.

When will my period of mobility start?
Selected undergraduate and master students applying during the current call for application must start the mobility in the autumn semester of the academic year 2015/16, according to the Host University’s academic calendar. The autumn semester usually start in September /October. Only doctorate, post-doctorate and staff can start at any time, up to one month before the end of the project and must be agreed with the Host University.

How long can I stay abroad if I am granted a scholarship?
It depends on the type of mobility you belong to (Undergraduate, Master, Doctorate, Post-doctorate, Staff). Read more about our scholarship

Who is a master degree seeking applicant?


A master degree seeking applicant is an individual who applies to enrol in a master programme to obtain a degree from the Host University. When the mobility starts the master degree student has already obtained a bachelor degree and is no longer a student at his/her former university.

B) Definitions (Host/Home university; Type of mobility; Target groups).

What is my Home and Host University?
The Home University is the University where the student is enrolled/registered in his /her home country. The Host University is the EFFORT Partner University the student applies for in the foreign country, in order to carry out a short exchange mobility or a degree seeking mobility.

What is the definition of exchange student?
Exchange student: student (officially enrolled at a University or other Higher Education Institution for the whole period of mobility abroad) who temporarily carries out his/her studies in a EFFORT Partner University in a foreign country and attends courses or is involved in other academic activities. The exchange student does NOT get a diploma from the host university, he/she can only sit exams and accumulate the corresponding credits and marks. All academic results will be sent to his/her Home University. Exchange student have to be enrolled at the home University for the entire duration of the mobility at the host university.

What are Target Groups and which group do I belong to?
Target Groups are the different categories students can belong to. There are 3 target groups for mobility from Third-countries to the EU (TG I, TG II and TG III) and one target group (TG I) for mobility from the EU to the Third-countries. Read the definitions in the section who can apply.

If you are a National of Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan
- you are enrolled or registered at a EFFORT partner University, you can apply as a TG1 candidate (please remind to check the required documentation and provide the proof of registration);
- you are enrolled or registered in a University of Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaijan NOT partner of the EFFORT project, you can apply as a TG2 candidate (please remind to check the required documentation and provide the proof of -registration);
- you are in socio-political vulnerable situation, you can apply as a TG3 (please note that you must provide supporting documents as detailed in the call for application).

If you are an EU national and
- you are enrolled or registered at a EFFORT partner University, you can apply as a TG1 candidate (please remind to check the required documentation and provide the proof of registration);
- you are a registered at any EU university (not included in the partnership), you can apply as a TG2

EFFORT does not offer scholarship for TG2 from EU countries.

C) Who can apply (eligibility questions)? Which scholarships are available?

Can I apply for a scholarship if I am a Third-country national living in Europe?
If you resided or have carried out your main activity for more than a total of 12 months in one of the EU member states, you are not eligible for a EFFORT scholarship (unless you are a TG3 applicant).
If you have been living in Europe for a period shorter than 12 months, you are eligible to apply.
If you are in a particularly vulnerable situation for social or political reasons (TG3), the 12-months rule does not apply to TG3 applicants.

I was granted a scholarship within an EMECW/ERASMUS MUNDUS project before. Can I apply again?
You are eligible for a EFFORT scholarship if you apply for a different type of mobility than the one granted to you within the previous EMECW/ERASMUS MUNDUS project. If you have been selected as e.g. an Undergraduate before, you can now apply as a Master student. However, preference will always be given to applicant who have never benefitted from an Erasmus Mundus scholarship. It is definitely not possible to be selected for the same type of mobility a second time. This is not applicable to staff. In any case, you are not eligible if you stayed in Europe for more than 12 months in the last 5 years.

I am studying in my last year of bachelor studies and I would like to apply for a master exchange scholarship, but I don't have my bachelor degree certificate yet. May I exceptionally submit the missing bachelor degree certificate after the closing of the call?
Some Host Universities allow applicants to exceptionally submit their bachelor degree certificate at a later stage. Instead of the bachelor degree certificate you need to upload a declaration of expected graduation date (see available template), so that the Host University is informed about the timing of your graduation,  that must be before the start of mobility. You will also need to enrol in a Master course in your Home University, and send a proof of registration, before the start of mobility. You have to agree deadlines with the Host University and the Coordinator.

Which scholarship are available for EFFORT call for application?
Read more in the section Take Action – Application Procedure – Undergraduate, Post Graduate, PhD Students, Staff

D) What can I study? Academic offer and destinations.

Can I apply for an inter-European or inter-Third country mobility?
No, this kind of mobility is not covered by EFFORT programme. EU applicants can apply for a mobility in one of the Third country partners; Third country nationals can apply for a mobility in a EU partner university.

What courses can I take abroad?
You can find information about the hosting universities and courses available in the section The Partnership and Thematic Fields. You can search the academic opportunities by hosting University or by study field. It is possible to apply only for the academic opportunities specified in the academic offer of each partner university. We advise to read carefully the information about language and academic requirements. Further information can be requested directly to the contact person of the hosting university.

E) Requested documents (language certificate, degree certificate, graduation date declaration, translation of documents).

Do I need to translate my official documents in English?
The official language of the application is English. All submitted documents have to be in English, at the time of application, diplomas, transcripts and other official documents have to be submitted in original language, and accompanied by an English translation. At this stage non certified translations are accepted. In case you are selected you will have to provide certified translations of all relevant documents.

What language requirements do I need to fulfil?
Applicants need to master the language of instruction or the working language of the chosen programme (please check language requirements of the chosen programme) in order to be able to actively participate at the teaching activities, take the exams or communicate with colleagues.  You will be asked to upload a proof of language competence (i.e. language certificates, language courses or exams appearing in you transcript of records), depending on the type of mobility, study programme, and on the specific requirements of the Host university. Check this information in the academic requirements of each Host University.